mitre 10 online store
We looked into the current Mitre 10 mobile site and explored areas that could be improved upon, specifically targeting their online store. The team, comprising of myself, Melissa Chan and Daniel Kim, set a few goals and a timeline to tackle the challenge. This included the steps we might need in research all the way through to how we will go about building the prototype. Meeting daily to make sure we were all moving in the right direction.
Research, co writing and conducting of interviews, conducting card sorts, contextual enquiries, creation of personas, ideation, user testing, UI design.
Interviews were conducted with 11 participants to try to understand what issues the users might have when buying hardware items online.
Some takeaways of note, users didn’t want to wait for their hardware items to arrive, wanting them immediately for the project they were working on. They wanted to learn new techniques and to receive advice when needed.
A survey was then created and taken by 28 further people to see if it would reinforce the information from the one on one interviews.
We then visited 3 Mitre 10’s physical stores and their main competitor, Bunnings to see their strengths and weaknesses.
Mitre 10 stores were hard to navigate due to poor signage, shelves were unkept, the staff weren’t very friendly or helpful.
Bunnings was positive in all these aspects, correlating with our survey and interview findings.
Improving Mitre 10’s online store seems like an essential and logical step, as competing with Bunnings as a bricks and mortar store is a hard battle to win.
Using the information gathered through our initial research, we each created a persona to help us better understand the users needs and problems.
With our personas fleshed out and defined we were ready to start focussing on solving their main pain points.
With our personas in mind we started brain storming separately. We then bought all our ideas together, combining and tweaking them to help solve our users problems.
Video Tutorials with specific items used in the video, listed on the page below, ready to add to cart. Catering for the Laura the inexperienced user, teaching her new techniques and giving her easy access to the required items.
The Mighty Express Delivery Ute, a same day courier service. Delivering the needed items to your door. This service would be targeted at Steve the experience user, letting him continue to work on his project and have the items delivered to his door.
Live Chat with DIY experts, recommending solutions and items for anyone in need of assistance. For the Monica Occasional Buyer, who wants to research items from her home.
The MOBILE site
Once we had set goals to achieve for our personas we started to design the app. We created hand drawn wire frames to get started.
From there we went digital, making iterations from internal discussion and some lo-fi user testing. Some of these early iterations including, losing the hamburger menu and putting the categories as a top navigation. This already helped to clean up the top nav, making it the site easier to use.
From further user testing across lo and mid-fi prototypes some changes we made were, prices didn’t have enough contrast, some buttons were too thin and difficult to press, some aspects of the form fields could be condensed to make it smoother and easier to navigate.
We then went to Axure, creating a style guide so the team could each work on different sections of the site.
We then created a specific user flow for each persona to ensure we met their needs. Below is Laura, the inexperienced DIYers, user flow.
Creating a responsive website to ensure users can shop on different platforms, as our research showed many users prefer to shop online through a desktop.
Evolution of the Mighty Delivery Ute. We want to evolve the delivery ute to make an ice cream styled hardware truck. The truck would drive around the suburbs on weekends, playing a jingle to signal DIYers that they can run out to top up any tools or materials they may need without having to leave their area.
It was interesting and challenging working closely, with a short deadline in a team of three. Ensuring we were all headed in the same direction, in unison and in harmoniously. Daily meetings were very valuable in this way as we could have easily doubled up or created unnecessary work.
Allocation of time is something that I would like to improve on. Some elements of the project that weren’t as relevant as others ended up sapping up an equal amount of time. For future projects I would like to look into a system that dictates a set time spent on the a section depending on it’s importance.
In summary, from user testing and feedback we feel the changes and ideas we implemented would help make Mitre 10 and it’s services more clear, concise and easy to use. Benefitting the user and the business.